Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (P.I.M.S) is one of the largest local tertiary care government hospitals providing a vast array and diversity of health services and advanced sub specialties including one of the state of the art Nephrology department.
The field of Nephrology is a relatively newer but dynamically evolving sub-specialty of Medicine and allied, dealing with adverse kidney disease, dialysis and kidney transplantation.
Though, it started off as a small 04 allocated bed nephrology area in a shared ward of internal medicine and pulmonology, back in 1986, it has flourished with leaps and bounder over the years into an independent purely nephrology dedicated unit including an independent 42 bedded in-Patient ward, a separate 24/07 fully functional hemodialysis comprising of 18 functional hemodialysis unit including 03 separate hemodialysis machines with a separate water treatment plant dedicated purely to end stage renal disease patients who are hepatitis B virus positive, with 20 more hemodialysis machines that are expected to be installed and fully functional by the end of 2019.
Apart from 42 bedded acute ward and 18 round the clocks free functional hemodialysis unit and well recognized past graduate residency program the other services provided by the said department include:
1. 06 days a week out-patient clinics in
- General Nephrology
- Transplant and hypertension clinic.
- Glomerulonephritis (GN),Vasculitis and auto immune related renal disease clinic.
- Chronic non dialysis kidney disease.
- Acute kidney Disease follow-up.
*Over 1000 patients attend these
clinics per month.
*Another 300 plus patients are seen as referrals from emergency, other indoor
departments outside institution.
2. Everymonth, up to 300 patientsare admitted with 70% new cases.
3. Over 2300 free of cost hemodialysis sessions are done per month providingtwice weekly maintenance hemodialysis to 150 registered
ESRD outpatients, emergency arrivals, acute kidney injury patients and every referral from other medical facilities.
4. Various nephrology related procedure and intervention services are provided like :
- Real time, ultrasound guided acute and tunneled hemodialysis catheter insertion.
- Real time, ultrasound guided diagnostic native and grafted/transplanted kidney biopsies.
- Peritoneal dialysis (when article are available locally).
5. Free renal transplant facility for all as per Human Organ Transplant Authority
(HOTA) of Pakistan standards and recommendations.
6. PIMS,being an undergraduate and postgraduate teaching institution, the
department of nephrology is one of the largest independentgovernment teaching unit locally imparting supervised
training to budding nephrologists in the discipline of FCPS as well as MD
Nephrology affiliated with College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan
(CPSP) and Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University (SZABMU),
respectively. Both of these training programmesare
approved by Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) and also recognized
by Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan and accepted nationally
and internationally through out the globe. Educational activities
are provided as :
Full hand on resident and internees (HOs) calls in four
batches hence, 7 to 8 calls per resident/internee per month.
Daily academic morning meeting/class o 01 hour, five
days a week the distribution of which is as follows:-
|b)||Tuesday|| Journal club|
|c)||Wednesday||Medicine & Allied weekly grand round with Nephrology|
|d)||Thirsday||Exam oriented long case and OSCE simulation.|
|e)||Friday||Morbidity and Mortality (M&M) meeting + Short cases |
Bimonthly local chapter academic meeting of Pakistan
Society of Nephrology (PSN) proving academic exposure & interaction with
all local nephrology units in various government, military and private
hospitals of Islamabad and Rawalpindi.
Biennial international academic
conference of Pakistan Society of Nephrology (PSN) in various cities of
Pakistan providing vast exposure of nephrology students and specialist to
national and international, authentic prestigious nephrologists updating on
recent researcher in the subject of nephrology benefitting young minder to
prepare them to meet international standard of training and patient care along
with recent advancements in the said field.